I'm running the 114th Boston Marathon to help others reach their personal finish lines-get into college, graduate and to GO FAR in life! Be a part of the journey!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Made it to Mile 15...actually 16!











Sunday morning is a day of rest for many, but not for me.  I had to get my long run in regardless of shin splints.  I was thankful for free parking on Sundays at Eliot T station, Newton, which was my start and my finish.  I thought everyone did their long runs on Saturday, but I was happy to see so many runners and cyclists exercising.   


I just mapped my run and found out I did 16 miles because I missed a turn on my run and just retraced my steps.  No wonder I was exhausted when I had to finish that last mile! 

Original run: 
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3457083


My Run: http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/us/ma/newton/965126573304751634

It was physically challenging because 1. Distance and 2. you run along the 4 miles of hills that end with Heartbreak Hill near Boston College. Then you can take it easy around the reservoir, and then it's all down hill. However, when I ran around the reservoir, I had a strong headwind.  That pretty much sucked all heat and energy out of my body.  I knew then that my muscles were going to ache in pain because I used up all of my glycogen stores.  I needed sugar and carbs stat! I wondered if I passed out from hyponetrimia, low blood sugar or exhaustion, would someone would steal my wallet?  Luckily, I stopped at a bakery along the carriage trails a couples miles away from Boston College.  

I contemplated whether I should take the T to shorten my run because I didn't know if I was going to be in trouble physically.  It was pretty bad to get to the point where I wanted to shorten the route.  I ran out of water and was forming a headache.  If I decided to take the T, then I would be giving up on the training and all of the effort that got me this far.   The negative thoughts were crowding my head and I just had to get out of the meandering carriage trails and reach the Newton-Wellesley Hospital to get water.     

Lessons learned:
1.  Diet is so, so important and I felt the effects of improper fueling.  I didn't eat enough in the morning and didn't bring any snacks for the 15+ mile run.  

2. Continue to drink plenty of fluids after running or else result in runner's migraine.  2 cups of water for every pound lost on the run.  :-/  

3. Rice, Rice, Baby: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation for my shin splints will aid in a speedy recovery. 

All of these lessons, I already know, yet, I still forget to follow through, which makes me suffer when I do the run.  



Thank You Matt Hofmann for donating to my cause!! It has lifted my spirits in these cold, dreary winter months! Thank you for your support friend!!  Bringing my total to: $2783.00!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment