I'm running the 114th Boston Marathon to help others reach their personal finish lines-get into college, graduate and to GO FAR in life! Be a part of the journey!

Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Boston Marathon

 As a life long resident of Massachusetts, I knew that Patriots Day is famously associated with the venerable Boston Marathon.   I remember watching it on television in awe of the fast, lithe bodies of elite runners that could run for long distances.  In years past, I was lucky enough to be one of many spectators on Commonwealth Ave cheering on the thousands of runners racing to earn their medal-the paramount to their many months and years of training.  I hold tremendous respect for the Boston Marathon.  


Why run Boston Marathon now? Do I belong? Will I be looked down on by elitist runners that think I got a backdoor entry?  These are some queries I wonder about and you may be wondering as well.   I know I am running for a greater purpose than for bragging rights.  I learned about Bottom Line in college and were in some way instrumental to my development and I want to give back to them. I know I belong in my charity, I am so fortunate to be invited to join a team of 15, where 60 prospects were turned down.  I am fully committed to reaching my fundraising goal and to make earning my medal much more special.  Also, this race means that I am in it to compete with myself.  Every day I am training to be stronger and faster, better than who I was yesterday.   This week, I spent my weeknights cross training, but more importantly, lifting weights to get my legs prepared for the heavy demands that will be required of them.  I hope to leave the gym, track, trail or street always feeling like a 10-that I did the best that I could, beating who I was yesterday. My legs will probably be perpetually sore and achy until after the Boston Marathon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment