I'm running the 114th Boston Marathon to help others reach their personal finish lines-get into college, graduate and to GO FAR in life! Be a part of the journey!

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Starting the week off strong

Since I was unable to physically do much this past weekend, I needed to make up the long run.  Last night, I ran on the treadmill with a 0.5 incline and ran a steady 6-mile run.  My warm up took about 2 miles.  My ankles, hamstrings and calve muscles were throbbing in pain.  I know the difference between pain from being out of my comfort zone and pain that can lead to injury.  This was definitely the latter.  So, I stretched after my warm up then when back at running.  I had to trust that my body is trying to warm up; getting all the kinks out and I kept working through it.  It can get boring running on a treadmill, so I try to visualize running through my old stomping grounds in Ashby, MA where the serpentine roads would eventually lead me to a reservoir.  My latest visual is running down Comm. Ave and passing all my familiar landmarks, then I felt my adrenaline pumping and I got a second wind.  I felt like I could have run for miles and miles.

 A small group formed- gym rats wanting to take the next exercise apparatus available.  Gym rats do the hover move where they are clearly around your area and looking over your shoulder at your time.  Then there was the gym rat that tries to tap you or wave to get your attention.  The two runners on both sides of me were over their limit on the treadmill, but ignored the antsy patrons.  I was clearly surpassing my 30 minute limit by an additional 35 minutes.  I needed to complete this run!  I motioned I had 10 min. left to one gym rat, he gave me the nod and I was lucky to be able to finish up.


This morning I woke up at 6:20am to head to the gym to do a 6 mile bike ride with 160 bpm then did upper body weight training.  Since my legs were so sore, I resorted to drinking Whey protein.

Pigbutton_small
Donate Today by Clicking On This Site:


1 comment:

  1. You are doing phenomenal Alexis! I forgot to mention to you ...you should take a look at Nancy Clark's food for marathoners
    (http://www.amazon.com/Nancy-Clark-Food-Guide-Marathoners/dp/1841262064/ref=pd_sim_b_4). It has some great tips to give you the energy you need up until the marathon as well as how to eat when you are pressed for time. It's like my 2nd bible.

    Keep up the good work sista!

    ps. Gym rats are so annoying
    Laura

    ReplyDelete